Here are two delicious recipes that will enrich your jam selection for your healthy breakfast and tea breaks!
The jams are prepared mainly with plants that can be easily found in the fields and hills of Maremma Tuscany, a bit less easily in supermarkets. But, depending on where you live, you might be able to grow these plants in your garden!
The strawberry tree (arbutus) is a small tree with flaking bark and red berries, native to temperate regions of the Mediterranean. The berries have euphoric properties: when the fruit is ripening, some of its sugar becomes partly alcohol… and consuming large quantities of mature berries can cause dizziness.
The dog rose (rosa canina) is a variable climbing wild rose species native to Europe, northwest Africa and western Asia. The plant is high in certain antioxidants and the fruit is noted for its high vitamin C level.
STRAWBERRY TREE JAM
- Strawberry tree fruits 1000 gr.
- Brown sugar 400 gr.
- Ginger as needed
- 1 lemon
- Wash the strawberry tree fruits and put them to boil for 10 minutes.
- Sieve well and put back on the flames with sugar, grated ginger and the lemon peel and juice.
- Cook for about 30 minutes.
DOG ROSE JAM
- Dog rose berries 1000 gr.
- Brown sugar 600 gr.
- 1 lemon
- Wash the dog rose berries and put them to boil for 10 minutes.
- Sieve well and put back on the flames with the sugar and the lemon peel and juice.
- Cook for about 45 minutes.
These recipes are proposed by Executive Chef Emiliano Lombardelli of the Dama Dama Restaurant in southern Tuscany.